Search This Blog

Duplicate Stitch: Greige Beanie Pattern

posted by Diana
Oh my, it's another hat... who could have guessed? Are you all getting sick of seeing these yet? Because I'm not tired of making them...

My beanie only took an evening to make... and that was as I was making up the pattern as I went along. Now that the pattern is fully written (but, admittedly, not test-knit) the knit time should be much quicker!




I also want those jeans...
When I was perusing the Black Friday sales online I saw the American Eagle ad pictured to the left and decided I. Needed. That. Hat.

Surprisingly, I couldn't find this hat available for sale on their website! Not that I would ever need to buy a knit hat from the store... I just wanted more reference pictures so I could duplicate my own version.

In knitting nerd lingo, the original hat looks looks like a k1, p2 rib pattern for the brim and waffle stitch for the body.

Since my yarn I had on hand was incredibly bulky, I opted for mistake stitch rib for the body of my own version. I also switched the brim up to a twisted rib stitch because I like that more than just plain old k1, p1.

handknit chunky beanie pattern

Warning: These photos were taken inside at about 9pm, so there was no natural sunlight! I didn't use flash and almost of my photos of myself on the blog are selfies. Hence why these are edited like crazy... they were super dark in the originals! Weirdly, I still like them.

handknit chunky beanie patternhandknit chunky beanie pattern


To make the Greige Beanie, you need:

  • US 15 needles, circular and DPN
  • One skein Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick (or other Super bulky weight yarn)
Stitches:
Twisted rib-- 
*ktbl, p1, repeat from *

Broken rib-- 
Row 1: k row even
Row 2: *k1, p1, repeat from *

Pattern:
Using circular needle, cast on 48 stitches.

Place marker at beginning of round and join, careful not to twist stitches.

Work twisted rib stitch for 5 rows.

Work broken rib stitch for 12 rows, or until piece measures about 5.5 inches, including brim. End on a wrong side row.

Begin decreases switching to dpns when necessary.

Row 1: *k6, skp, repeat from * 42 sts left
Row 2: *(k1, p1) 3x, k1, repeat from *
Row 3: *k5, skp, repeat from * 36 sts left
Row 4: *k1, p1, repeat from *
Row 5: *k4, skp, repeat from * 30 sts left
Row 6: *(k1, p1) 2x, ktbl, k1, (p1, k1) 2x, ktbl, k1, repeat from *
Row 7: *k2tog, repeat from *

Break yarn, pull through remaining 15 stitches. Weave in ends. 


handknit chunky beanie closeup ribbing


lion brand wool-ease chunky


I think I made a fairly good dupe! I didn't want my beanie as slouchy as the original hat, but the mistake rib could be knit one or two inches more for a slouchier effect.

 I also might add a pom-pom at some point... what do you think? Pom-pom or no pom-pom?

Happy making!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!