Search This Blog

Kitchen On Hold



So there I was, kneeling on the concrete floor, spreading thinset.  Stephen behind me, setting tile.  All of the sudden, the garage door opens, and Mike Rowe comes in to join us.

He has a beer in his hand and starts joking around. He tells us how he is so proud of us for learning this new skill, and how if Dirty Jobs was still on, he would definitely come work on our house with us.  Then he picked up the bucket of thinset and dumped it over my head.

Then I woke up.  And decided I needed to take a little break from flooring.

Yes, the plan was to full-steam-ahead onto the kitchen flooring.  We have all the supplies in the garage.  Look at the beautiful travertine!



Ooooh.  Aaaaaaah.

But in addition to being sick of laying floor, we've hit a snag in the kitchen.  Do you see what I see?


Probably not, with all the junk in the way. Let's just leave the dining room out for now.  That is a whole different conversation. In fact, just skip that picture.



Yes, I'm talking about the island.  It has thrown a whole wrench into the kitchen, because.... I LOVE IT THERE!!!!

I guess I should say I love the countertop space there.  The biggest problem with the kitchen is the lack of countertop space where it is needed.  Having countertop near the fridge? What an idea!

And yes, the fridge has been rotated 90 degrees.  Turned the "correct" way, it felt just back in the corner of the kitchen, tucked away.  What a strange place for the most popular appliance!  One day, it would be so nice to build in the fridge, and bring the cabinets forward to make them reachable.  All in good time.



Back to counters.  As of right now, the plan is to add a peninsula to the kitchen.  I can guarantee you this will be the most used counter space in the kitchen - the island already is.  It doesn't take up any of the dining room space, and no one really needs or uses that floor space.  Plus, you get more storage out of it.

...But it's a LOT of work.

  • uninstalling current cabinets
  • buying new cabinets
  • installing them (and reusing the uninstalled ones)
  • taking out all the countertops, sink, faucet
  • buying new countertops and installing them, along with the sink and faucet.  

But then?  It will function like this.



And to save $ on countertops... well... there are ways.  But it means more work.

Oh yeah - and after the new cabinets go in, THEN the floors can go in.

Mix all that with the fact I'm burnt out on this house.  It's been a month.  And we've really only finished one project.  (OMG - SERIOUSLY? How can it only be one?! I'm going to go upstairs and cry now.  In my bedroom.  That doesn't have a floor.  Or a door.)

So, we've got our work cut out for us (and some saving up to do!).  Part of me regrets pulling up the linoleum so quickly - it would feel a little more usable with floors.  I'm just glad we didn't rush into putting floors in without actually using the kitchen.

And eventually, I'd like to stain the cabinets darker, add can lights, backsplash, etc.  Geez, I'm stressing myself out!!!! One thing at a time, Emma.  One thing at a time.

Do you guys have any kitchen tricks that have changed your life?  Any projects going on?  Any appliances you've moved out of the shadows?

Pssssssssssst.... Did you know that I once danced with the Mike Rowe Chippendales??




Happy Monday!

posted by Emma




No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!