Search This Blog

New Hobby


I don't need another craft to get addicted to... but it's happening anyway. I've been making simple jewelry pieces since I gave my mom beads on a pipe cleaner when I was three, but I've always wanted to take my skills to the next level. I've been tempted to take a metals class, but have always had to contend with time restraints and a lack of funds, so my current obsession with wire-wrapping is the next best thing. Long story short... I've learned to make lots of rings and things to wear and sell at my next craft fair (...and my Etsy shop)!


I started with these flat, druzy beads that were already encased in metal. 


I stuck some wire through the bead holes and wrapped and wrapped, slightly willy-nilly. It sounds super woo-woo, but I let the wire tell me where it wanted to go. I know, I know... but whatever works!

Then I snipped the excess wire and rounded the ends so they wouldn't be so stabby.  What resulted was fairly experimental and (I'm pleased to say) absolutely resembled jewelry!


I liked the process of wrapping the rings so much, I decided to wrap some more beads. The gemstones below will become long layering necklaces.


Then things got weird and I made some of those rainbow gemstones into rings. They don't look spectacular by themselves, but look really cool when being worn!


I was so pleased with myself when I called my wrap-session quits. I'm so used to knitting taking forever that I'm not quite used to the instant gratification of wire-wrapping. I kept popping the rings on and off my fingers, putting them on each time in a different combination. 


Look for more wire-wrapping in the future!

Happy making!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!