Search This Blog

Stuck in an Infinite Loop

posted by Diana
I hate fussy clothing. Straps that slide around, ruffles that need constant arranging, or shirts that have to stay tucked in are all things I try to be conscious of (and avoid) when I'm clothes shopping. What can I say? I like being comfortable and I like my clothes to stay where I put them when I get dressed in the morning.

So when I discovered the infinity scarf, I went a little crazy. Because, apparently, when I do like something, I really like it. Really, really like it.

Infinity scarves are great because they stay in place much better than a traditional scarf. Plus, since I have to move around a lot at work, it's nice not to have to worry about fabric ends dangling down and getting stuck in stuff. Because that's happened. And when it happens once, it feels like a silly coincidence. But when it happens more than once? It feels like the fates or the universe or something is plotting against me.

Enter the GAP-tastic Cowl. This scarf by Jen Geigley has been made and shared over 12,000 times on Ravelry alone. And here are not one, not two, but three more! (I told you... really, really like).

gap-tastic scarf
Lion Brand's Hometown USA
The designer was originally inspired by a scarf she saw in a Gap store. She figured out how to make her own seamless version of their finished scarf and was kind enough to share the pattern for free. The pattern is incredibly simple and easy to memorize, which makes it great for beginner knitters or for knitting and socializing (or binge-watching Netflix). No wonder this scarf is so popular!

For all of my versions, I followed the pattern and used size 13 circular needles to cast on 131 stitches.

gap-tastic scarf
Moda Dea Tweedle Dee (discontinued)
gap-tastic scarf
Loops & Threads Cozy Wool












This scarf is knit up in bulky yarn, so it only takes an evening or two to make. The chunky knit makes a substantial scarf--great for keeping away the winter chill.

I decided it was ridiculous to have three nearly identical scarves, so I sewed on some crochet flower appliques to the most rustic-looking scarf. That makes it different enough, right? I used this pattern at My Hobby is Crochet and a size G hook to make the flowers.

crochet flowers
Scrap acrylic for the center, Bernat Mosaic for the petals
crochet and knit flower infinity scarf











I made sure to sew the flowers back to back so there wouldn't be a right or wrong side to the scarf (again, no fuss!). Now my scarf is whimsical in a chic fairy/grandma kind of way. Which means it's totally my style.

These flowers are so fun to make and I want to put them on EVERYTHING. One day, I'll have an entire blanket made from them so I can sleep under a warm, woolly garden. Living the dream, don't you think?

Happy making!

2 comments:

  1. Your scarf looks really pretty! Thank you for linking to my pattern. :)
    Regards,
    Kinga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Thank you for sharing your pattern!

      Delete

Give us your feedback!