Search This Blog

Om nom nom--Whipped Brown Sugar Scrub

posted by Diana
Winter is over (even though this dreary cold snap says otherwise) but I'm still dealing with the aftereffects of dry weather. Namely, sad and dry winter hands.

Thankfully, there's a simple remedy. I've already sung the praises of Trader Joe's hand lotion. This week, I've cobbled together my own sugar scrub recipe by reading various tutorials online. This is the first scrub I've ever made... I have such a voracious sweet tooth that I prefer to eat sugar instead of making it into body products.

whipped brown sugar scrub tutorial instructions

This scrub is made from items easily found in most grocery stores. I actually already had all the necessary ingredients in my own pantry. It doesn't get any easier than that!

brown sugar scrub supplies

This particular recipe makes a little less than four ounces of sugar scrub:
  • 1/2 c Brown sugar
  • 1/4 c Solid coconut oil (from Trader Joe's)
  • 1/8 tsp Vanilla extract (from Haiti)
  • 1/4 tsp Vitamin E oil (from Trader Joe's)
In no particular order, I popped all of my ingredients into my Kitchen Aid mixer and whipped my mixture on high until it fluffed up.

kitchen aid mixer

Then I spooned the mixture into my four ounce quilted canning jars I picked up from Michael's.

sugar scrub jars


The jars were $1.59 each. I picked these little, shallow jars so I wouldn't need a spoon to dish out product when the jar was running low. Plus, the shallow jars make it easier to stir the scrub if the oils settle.

That's it! This sugar scrub is super quick and no trouble to make. Even the clean up wasn't so bad, and I tend to be a messy crafter. The jars are also easily dressed up as cute gifts.

Inspired by the sugar scrub my friend Allison gave me for Christmas, I topped my jars with custom labels. I traced the lid on colorful scrap-booking paper and cut out my circles. Then, leaving space for the jar's band, I wrote my ingredients on the label. Finally, I laminated the paper with packing tape and taped the label to the lid. For extra cuteness, I tied on bows of twine. Honestly, tying on the twine was the hardest part.

sugar scrub jar labels diy

And here's the finished product!

handmade sugar scrub for gifts


The verdict? This scrub is almost good enough to eat! And the smell takes me straight into summer. Oh yeah... it makes my hands soft too! But really... that smell. Yum!

Happy making!

2 comments:

Give us your feedback!