Search This Blog

Nightmare in the Shower

Well, The Move is upon us.  I'm in the throes of depersonalization, and let me tell you, I've done few things less fun than this.  I'll share next week some of the things that I've been up to, but for right now, I'd like to just forget about it.

Remember me mentioning my guest bathroom makeover a while back?  I didn't share it because it wasn't one of my favorite projects, mainly because it was so much more work than I thought it would be.

Basically, we re-tiled the shower.  But why, you ask?

Well, a wall collapsed within a month of us purchasing the house. I'm talking April 2013 here. I'm not exactly sure what home inspectors look for when they inspect a home, but I feel they should have caught the rotten drywall behind the shower.  I'm not sure how they would do it.  But they should have.



Stephen (for some reason) was using the guest bathroom exclusively before I moved into the home.  One day while showering, he put a little pressure on the wall, and rotten drywall and ceramic shards came a-tumbling down!

Thankfully, he wasn't hurt. However, I was moving in in a few weeks, and his family was staying with us for a visit... and would need a bathroom!  So Stephen patched it as a temporary fix.  It did not go well.


All was well and good, though, knowing that Stephen would never be allowed to touch a caulk gun again it was a temporary solution.

It stayed like that for months.  For at least 8 months, actually, because it took that long to gather the motivation to tackle this.  If I ever do this again, I'll need at least 10 months to get enough motivation.  Maybe a full year.


But I got restless while Stephen was at work one day, and this is what happened... that was ALL that happened.  This was exhausting!  I quickly turned my attention to the window.  The brown window frame was making it feel darker in that small space, so I went to a can of paint plus primer Valspar spray paint to see what magic we could conjure up together.


Does anyone else find it weird to have a window in your shower?  I would feel very uncomfortable showering in there!


How cool is this window film?  I added it to both sides of the window, but wanted you guys to see the difference.  It still lets in all the sunlight while retaining more privacy than just plain glass.

Back to the shower!
Back when I still had bangs! I kind of miss them...

Errrrrm.... ew.  It looks as if water had been leaking in under the window and damaged the insulation paper.  It didn't smell bad, so I don't know if it's mold?  Anyways, I sprayed it with bleach (several times) and let it dry up.  Thankfully, none of the studs were damaged.  I don't have a picture of this, but we actually used an old clear shower liner to go from the window sill to the tub, just as protection for the studs in case water should somehow get through the tile and behind the backer board.  Just as a precaution.

We used Hardie Backer for this tile installation, because it doesn't rot!  It's water resistant/mold resistant meaning that no one will ever have this tile wall collapse on them.  (At least not due to poor construction!)

I somehow do not remember being this happy during this project.

It was surprisingly easy to fit this stuff in!  The hardest part was getting the hole placement right for the showerhead/faucet.


GO US! Time for tile!

Was I really that happy?  Maybe this project wasn't so bad... (ignore the primer on the walls)


This was pretty slow-going.  Plus, our tub isn't straight across at the bottom... it does a gradual U, which was a pain to deal with.


But wow.  What a difference!  But just wait until you see the grout!...


Can you see it??


OMG! DO YOU WANT TO COME SHOWER AT MY HOUSE??

For paint, I mixed a greenish color with whatever I already had in the garage.  I also bought a new shower curtain ($20 on Amazon?! Heck yes!).


And of course, I've since done the mini-makeover.  And as of today, staged the counter!

(Please buy my house)
Let's end with a little before and after, shall we?



What were you guys up to this weekend?  Home improvement?  Enjoying the rain?  Contemplating haircuts with bangs?

Happy Monday!

posted by Emma

1 comment:

  1. Great job Em and Steven! You should have your own reality TV show. I like the accent tile you chose in the shower - still neutral but gives it some personality. Good luck with the sale of the house!
    Aunt Maggie

    ReplyDelete

Give us your feedback!