Search This Blog

Corkboard Makeover Fail

Nobody's perfect.

Unfortunately, that includes me.  But I've long since known I'm not perfect.
There was that time I overslept for a very important exam.
There was that time I left the oven on when I left the house.
There was that time I forgot to measure and cut wood for my desk the wrong size (yes, I'm still griping about it).

I'm not sure I'm in the mood to disclose more personal mistakes, but you get the picture.  We all have examples, big and small, of how we are imperfect.

Well, I'm here to chronicle one of my failures.  It all started like this.

Just a cork board.  I acquired it in 2007 I think, as a gift from the toy store I worked in over the summer.  I just haven't used it in years, and the black border was chipping off a lot.  Perhaps the first mistake was covering up the Greatest University on Earth logo.

Then there was this.

Stephen was really into spray paint art for a while.  He was actually really good!  We even have some of it framed in the guest room.  He made me this painting, with my name in space.  I thought it would be cool to try this on a cork board (spoiler: it's not.).

Firstly, to cover up the logo, I just used white spray paint I had laying around.

With Stephen's spray paint collection, I went crazy.  Then we "blotted" it using pages from a magazine.  This is the same process Stephen uses to create planets in his paintings.

Then I took some of this (any dish soap will do)...

And wrote an empowering message on my cork board.  I was really lacking creativity, so I just went with "you go girl!".  Womp womp.



Instead of black like Stephen used on my painting, I went with silver metallic paint leftover from my table makeover.

Faaaaancy.

I waited just a minute or two, until the paint was dry to the touch.  I grabbed some paper towels and started wiping.

It was pretty soapy.

Here's the final product...

Aaaaaaaand I hate it. Mainly because I'm older than ten years old.

When I was doing this, I didn't really have a place or purpose for it, so it was just a fun experiment!  I'm hoping I can use this soap-and-spray-paint technique somewhere cool one day, but this cork board is not it.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the cork board now that I have a job, but I am positive I will be repainting or covering it with fabric.  Maybe I'll have Stephen paint some planets or something! ;-)

Anyways, hopefully you can use this technique to make something beautiful.  And if you do, please share it - don't let this ugly cork board ruin it for you!

I'm off to make something beautiful (like lunch).  Happy Monday!

posted by Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!