Search This Blog

Prayer Shawl and Good Vibes

posted by Diana
Cancer sucks. And you don't realize how much it sucks until it affects someone you care about. I have a fairly intensive family history with cancer, so it was gut-wrenching to learn that my step-mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. But that was months ago. Fortunately, she's currently on the mend and cancer-free... so this project is also a few months old.

It started when my step-mom was sending me snapchats of her all bundled up and ready to take on the day. Losing hair during chemo doesn't help keep the early spring chill away... so I thought I'd make her something she'd appreciate and help keep her warm.

Because, even in the throes of helplessness, I make.

Finally finished... and contemplating keeping it for myself.
So close to being done!
I decided to make her a giant shawl using The Original Prayer Shawl. I followed the knitting instructions (because knitting is my first fluent yarn language) and cast on 57 stitches. Because the pattern repeat follows odd numbers and the pattern is a sort of "extended moss stitch" I thought casting on 57 would be the best option for me. The pattern even notes: If you cast on 57 stitches you will always start with K3, so I thought not having to remember how each row started and starting each one the same way would be ideal for a project on which I was mindlessly knitting. Seriously, this pattern is perfect for sitting down and vegging out in front of a Netflix binge session... it's just knit three stitches, purl three stitches, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc.

Lion Brand Homespun
Like many others on Ravelry, I used size 13 knitting needles and Lion Brand Homespun yarn. I've mentioned before that this yarn is a bit of a pain to work with, but the end result is totally worth it. Because of the yarn's hardiness, this shawl will be around for years to come. I used three entire skeins of Lion Brand Homespun and essentially knit until the yarn ran out. That means this shawl is huge! It's pretty much a blanket my step-mom can wear.

The shawl in its former home on the bed... summer is too hot at my dad's for extra blankets!
The pattern is incredibly easy to follow and makes a giant scarf or shawl... it's perfect for using on those cold winter days or for sending to anyone who needs a hug from afar. I'm planning to make one for myself before winter hits!

Happy making!





1 comment:

  1. It is gorgeous! Thanks so much for the beautiful gift!!!! It is cosy and comforting.
    Love you,
    Loren

    ReplyDelete

Give us your feedback!