Search This Blog

Carpet 101

I'm a researcher.

Not for science, or anything.  But my dad taught me early on to research electronics (hello, cnet.com!) - and I've always been on top of the price.  One time I stalked a camera at Best Buy for months - scoring a $300 Sony for $240 after tax, thanks to waiting on sales, coupons, and using a student discount!  And just this past weekend,  I just saved over $50 on the curtains I've been staring at for weeks!



But this year, I've made a commitment to evaluate my purchases - especially big ones - with more criteria than just price.  I'm adding to the list eco-friendliness, ethical sourcing, and made in the USA.

That in itself is an entire blog post, but hey! Today is about carpet, let's talk about that!

I went to four different carpet stores in the El Paso area, including the Big Box stores.  Here's what I learned through my research and from all the different salesmen.

1. Carpet is AWFUL for the environment.

Several things here -
  • It is a petroleum product
  • It never decomposes (or at least, it's in the thousands-of-years range)
  • Usually protected with a stain fighting coating, which isn't eco-friendly, and off-gases VOCs (volatile organic compounds) into your home!
2.  There ARE several carpet recycling facilities around!


The ones I've looked at online don't charge to take your carpet, and most landfills do, so you're saving money and the environment.  Before you go, make sure they will take your type of carpet.  The one closest to me only takes nylon.  Also check to see if they'll take your carpet pad too!

Even if there's not one nearby, check to see if the closest ones have remote drop off sites in your area.

Or, if it's in good shape like the carpet in our last house, sell it! It will get new life without all the processing.

3.  Not all carpets are created equal.

PET - 
  • Softer
  • Sometimes made from post consumer plastic bottles
  • Uses chemical stain resistance
  • Typically a 5-10 year warranty
  • Cheapest option
Nylon -
  • Known for durability
  • Has been used for carpet for decades
  • Uses chemical stain resistance
  • Usually 10-15 year warranty
  • "Middle-of-the-road" on price
Triexta (PTT) - 
  • "Miracle fiber"? - newest fiber on the market
  • Stain resistance is built in, so it lasts a lifetime - depending on which you choose, there are likely no chemicals protecting it from stains
  • Usually composed of both petroleum product and corn sugar (about 39%)
  • Warranties can be as long as 25 years for texture retention and stain resistance
  • Generally most expensive
Wool -
  • Apparently these exist, but I know nothing about them, except that they shed and are crazy expensive.
Of course, prices are based on several factors - face weight, patterns, textures, warranties, etc, so I'm certain there are some PET carpet the same price as Triexta - just in a different style. 

4.  Carpet is not the most eco-conscious flooring option.

I know this, and I'm still buying it, only because I researched to death.  I could put wood down, but the house would be all echo-y, and I just like having soft floors in the bedrooms. But wood floors do last a long time!

Ceramic tile may also be a good alternative for some, depending on where you're using it (too heavy for an entire upstairs!).

5.  A lot of carpet is made in the USA.

I was super paranoid I was going to get carpet tainted by child slaves in India, so I was reassured to know the one we chose is manufactured in the USA.  And then I researched this more and found it applied only to hand-woven carpets, so now I know to be on the lookout for that! More information here.

So, what did we end up with????

After almost 4 months with a dusty subfloor, we did make a purchase!  Meet Home Depot's Immense I (in Nature's Blend).




It's the cheapest Triexta that HD carries, and has a TWENTY FIVE YEAR WARRANTY on both stains and texture retention.  Um, I'll be a grandma by the time this hits the landfill (or hopefully, recycle plant!).  If I had chosen a cheap carpet, perhaps one with a 5 or 10 year warranty, there would be two entire cycles of carpet to come and go by the time this one expires.

I feel so good knowing I can steam clean it all I want without losing stain protection, and that is was made at least partly from good ole corn.  Oh, and the carpet pad we chose is 90% post consumer content!

And let me brag on Home Depot for a sec.  The salesman was extremely knowledgeable, the manager came over and bought our measure before we even decided to buy from HD, and they have a lifetime installation warranty on their carpets.  Oh AND they were running a special - 10% off carpet purchase when you use your HD card, and free installation!!!!

It's still more than I originally intended to spend on carpet... but that was before I knew the facts.  And it was worth the wait (and the $) to feel so at peace with this big purchase!  I'm just mad we already disposed of the downstairs carpet instead of recycling. :(


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!