Search This Blog

Miss Frizzle's Earring Stash

Toast earrings? Yes, please!
Miss Frizzle, of The Magic School Bus fame, is my style icon and fictional role model. "Take chances, make mistakes, get messy," her oft-repeated mantra, is a message I've taken to heart.

I love taking chances with my wardrobe choices... my posts on flower earrings, fairy wing earrings, and dinosaur earrings prove that I'm no stranger to quirky accessories.

And here are some more funky earrings I rock fairly often--matryoshkas and astronauts. I got the charms back when I lived in Boone, NC when the Bead Box was stilled called the Bead Box. My favorite shop there has since been revamped and renamed and doesn't have as many quirky and cute charms as when I was a student at App State, but I would still recommend checking out Strand if you're ever in the area for some good coffee and interesting craft supplies. 

diy matryoskha bead earringsdiy astronaut bead earrings

These earrings were so simple to make it almost feels like cheating to say I made them. Maybe assembled is the right word? I assembled each matryoshka earring from a hand-painted matryoshka bead, a headpin, a small, flat bead to keep the headpin from sliding through, and a fishhook earring notion. The astronauts used even fewer supplies--each earring has just an astronaut bead, a jump ring, and a fishhook earring notion. So easy!

Knowing I like weird earrings, my boyfriend got me these treasures for my birthday from a local toy shop. They're tiny toys that are slightly squishy and easy to shove jewelry hardware through.

good luck minis

We took a second trip to the toy shop so I could see the rest of the wacky toy shapes. I went a little crazy in the store (it was payday, after all) and picked out a bunch twin creatures. Back at home, things got a little weird.

baby earrings dragon earrings

On the left are the beginnings of baby earrings and even I'm still not sure how I feel about them. They're certainly toeing the line between quirky and creepy. On the right is the start of dragon earrings I've been wearing nearly every day since I finished making them. 

dragon earrings dinosaur earrings diy

 I was originally planning to sell all of the earrings I made with the toys purchased from my second trip, but I couldn't stop myself from keeping a few pairs. Sometimes a lady just wants to wear earrings with dragons and stars... and other times she needs her starfish earrings with octopus charms!

diy earrings baby starfish dragon dinosaur handmade

Here's a closeup of my favorite earrings. They look so summery and beachy, I can't wait to wear them with a sundress on a warm day. (Ugh, and it's only February...).  Like the matryoshka and astronaut beads, I purchased the square glass charm and metal octopus charms at the Bead Box.


 And here's a hastily-taken photo of the earrings I took to Telegraph in Charlottesville, VA! These earrings are on sale there and others will be available in my Etsy shop soon!

telegraph charlottesville dragon diy handmade dinosaur earrings

Happy making!

1 comment:

  1. What is Telegrapgh? These are definitely quirky!

    ReplyDelete

Give us your feedback!