Search This Blog

The Red Door

Lately there have been a lot of personnel change-ups at Stephen's work.  Soon, we will find out if Stephen is part of that changing personnel, which could keep up here OR move us out of state.

I KNOW, right?!  Finally I'm starting to adjust to my life here, call this place home, and now we might have to move? 

Well that was actually a few weeks ago, and it looks like we're in the clear now, but I didn't know that at the time of this project.  This house is just a laundry list of ways to keep it looking nice.  We've already tackled several of the big things (first floor tile, upstairs carpet), but there are many more little (and inexpensive!) things we can do to make it feel like home, which are perfect to make progress, but not invest too much money in case we actually do move.  This post is about one of those things.

I painted the front door!

OK, that's pretty much the whole post.  I used Flame by Eddie Bauer in Valspar satin exterior paint - I think a quart was $14.  Each side of the door has probably 5 coats on it, but that's likely more than I needed.  I just used a 2" angled brush, but a small roller would have been helpful too.

Here's the before...




And the way before...



In process...



painting a door


red front door
Yep.  Pretty darn nervous at this point.


And the after!

red door

(OK, so this is from the carpet post, but apparently it's the only one I took from the inside!)

Overall it just makes the house feel so much more inviting, and give it a little personality.  We went with red for no particular reason... but it does coordinate with the red couch about 12 feet away.  It's really fun to see our red door from the street - surprisingly, most of the doors (if not all) on our street are white or the color of their house.

Weirdly, there have been SEVERAL instances where some type of repairman or contractor parks in front of my house, looks at their paperwork, then drives off again (my office desk looks right onto the street).  Saturday morning, they even rang the doorbell before figuring out they had the wrong house!  I'm attributing it all to the red door - people are just attracted to it, I guess.  I hope that makes for some visitors this year!


1 comment:

Give us your feedback!