Search This Blog

Carpet Installation Prep

Last weekend I posted photos of me and Stephen each cuddling with our new carpet.  We're still in that phase where we just gaze at it and smile, and sniff it occasionally.  That's what having a newborn is like, right? I feel comfortable saying the carpet is our baby.



It took WORK to get to this point, though.  The salesman at Home Depot told us the carpet would arrive in 2-3 weeks... it only took 7 days! And to save some money, we still had to move all the furniture downstairs, rip up all the rest of the carpet, and do all of the painting that hadn't been done. 

And we did it all over the course of two nights.  But it had to be done... (I'm sparing you from the pee stains in this picture)

new carpet


Needless to say, I got enough of a workout to skip the gym... for two weeks.  I just went again on Saturday and I kind of think it was too soon. 

Anyways, we had to pick some paint colors!  We wanted to get this done so we didn't risk getting any paint on the new carpet.  Plus, it would allow us to go ahead and "move in" to the rooms upstairs, instead of being too grossed out to enter them.

Here's the guest room.  I started painting it "Drifting Dune" by Olympic, but as you can see... it was purple.  



Turns out, Lowe's had the wrong formula in their computer, so they mixed me up another one. SO much better, right?







The other room we figure might be used for a nursery (one day) so really, it was silly to paint it ahead of time.  Or was it?



EWWWWW.  How could I feel clean in a room with brand new carpet, with stains on the wall?  So it got painted Olympic "Spearmint Stick."  It might change later, but hey! No more ugly stains!



And I finished painting the master... which has VERY tall ceilings in some parts and just took forever.  There is still touch up that needs to be done, but it's such a pain to drag the ladder up here again.

But I STILL wasn't done painting.  You see, there used to be animals that lived here.  Instead of pawprints in the concrete, they left nice smelly stains in the carpet, and also, the subfloor.  I didn't realize how bad that room smelled until we were pulling up carpet.

In an attempt to seal in the odors, I rolled on two coats of the original Kilz wherever there were subfloor stains. This stuff is oil-based, which means STINKY.  But nothing compared to urine smells!  How bad would it be to get all this new carpet, only to have the pee still smell?





So far, so good.  I don't notice the smell in the bedroom after I take a steamy shower.

immense I nature's blend


Oh yeah, and this happened.  Stephen was tearing up carpet on the stairs when one of them split off!

replace stairs


He ran to Lowe's at 6am (the carpet guys were coming in just 3 hours!) to get a replacement 2x12.  Which also split.  So after another trip to Lowe's, and drilling some pilot holes for the nails, we were in business.

new stair tread



And now it looks great! It's so soft and snuggly.  Last weekend Stephen and I were taking a nap, but I wasn't tired, so I just got up to gaze at our new floor.  When I finally came back to bed, Stephen asked, "Where did you go?"  

"I fell asleep in the hallway."

True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!