Search This Blog

If These Walls Could Speak

Wednesday is Moving Day.  I'm nervously counting down the hours in anticipation.  But not the kind of anticipation when something good is about to happen.  More like you know what to expect, and it's not going to be fun.  Like knowing the test you are getting back is a D at best.  Or that date you have tomorrow night is to dump your boyfriend.  It's that kind of anticipation.  Maybe I should just call it Dread.

And true to form, I'm super emotional.  Whenever I move, a part of me always stays behind.  I never imagined that would be the case here, but Alamogordo, I truly will miss you.

When I was little, I remember my mom singing us Amy Grant's If These Walls Could Speak. I am only just remembering it now, but I wonder what both our old and new homes would say.  I actually know a fair amount about the different renters that came through our NM home, and they were all over the place.  Military, non-military, singles, families, black, white, gay, straight, young, old.  Also an old man died in each of the houses on either side of us just a few years before we moved in.  I'm weirdly convinced they both lived in our house for the year it was vacant, and for the first few months we lived there.  They must have been pals.

So far I know very little about the new house.  The owners were the original owners, and lived there since it was built in 2002.  They're only selling because of divorce, which makes me look at the holes punched in the bedroom doors and think they are the result of a fight.  I've met the owner, and he's older than my parents, and there's no evidence that kids ever lived in the house. They spent a lot of money upgrading the outside of the home, so they must have enjoyed a lot of time outdoors.

But I wonder what these walls will say after we've been there for a few years.  Will they finally see kids?  Will they meet lots of visitors?  Will they see more fighting and hardships, or love and support?  I'm not sure about the first questions, but I'm determined they will see plenty of love.

OK, enough mushy gushy.  Sorry.  Moving is hard.

While our stuff is still in transit, we can tackle our flooring project Thursday or Friday.  But, there are just a few really boring things we had to tackle first.  Mainly:
 - replacing 2 fire alarms (home inspection revealed they are broken)
-  getting a fire extinguisher (for safety and for insurance - lower premiums!)
-  majorly cleaning the bathrooms / fixing the drain.  They're so gross.  And the drain stop in the master bath is missing, so we need to replace that.  There are jets in this tub (who knows when they were last used!) so I want to fill up the tub, pour in a lot of bleach, and let the jets run. For like... days.  There's a lot of mildew in there.

Check back next week for an introduction to The Pearsall Home: Chapter 2!

Happy Monday!

posted by Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!