Search This Blog

Scarf it Up

posted by Diana
I've been trying to de-clutter my craft supplies and it's not an easy task--I definitely buy more craft supplies than I have time to make finished projects. This week, I made a scarf out of fleece I've had forever. The fabric was only one-third of a yard in length, so there wasn't much else it could become. My original plan was to sew up a fleece hat, but that idea obviously fell by the wayside.

I've made a lot of knit scarves that take a long time to make (since you're actually creating the fabric itself), but I've never sewn up a fabric scarf. It's so easy!

Honestly, I could have left my fleece in its original form and worn it out like a traditional scarf, but I was really hankering for an infinity scarf.


To make your own, all you need is:

  • 1/3 yard fleece, 60" wide
  • Needle
  • Thread
  • Scissors
  • Adornments
  • Sewing Machine (optional)



To make my fabric into an infinity scarf, all I had to do was join the fabric ends. Because fleece doesn't fray, I left the long edges of the scarf raw. I didn't even have to trim up my fabric because, when I purchased my fleece, the woman at the cutting counter cut the edges about as straight as I could have.

I wanted to join my fabric ends with a nice seam without lugging out my serger, so I decided to utilize a french seam--it looks good from both sides, so it doesn't matter which side is showing while wearing the scarf. It was my first time using this technique, so I followed this simple tutorial.

 This is the first straight stitch--the one where I sew the wrong sides together. It didn't actually matter which sides I chose to be the "wrong sides" for my scarf because the pattern is the same on both sides of the fabric. After this stitch, I've technically already made my infinity scarf, so I could have stopped here and called it a day.



And below is my seam after I sew with the right sides facing. It looks so good, right?!


But I had gotten a little too close to my seam allowance on the inside of my french seam, so the raw edges of the fabric were peeking through my second seam. Whoops. To prevent this, I could have sewn farther away from the edge of the fabric or cut away some of the excess fabric before sewing my second straight stitch.


To fix my mistake, I decided to experiment with a little decorative stitching. I've never had a sewing machine that can sew stitches like this before, so they were a little wonky with my first go at it. Plus, I didn't plan for the extra thread I needed to be fancy, so my bobbin thread ran out part way through.


I didn't care and didn't feel like winding up the bobbin with more thread, so I just hand stitched a straight stitch to close the seam.

And here's what the fabric looks like from the right side.


I added a wrapped metal chain adornment and secured it with a jump ring. I was debating on adding a charm made from old keys, but I think a fleece tassel will look nicer and be less jangly. The french seam is wrapped underneath the chain, so no one can see my wonky decorative stitching.


And here it is all finished! This scarf is toasty warm--it'll be perfect for chilly snow days. And, even though I shudder to say it, would make perfect handmade Christmas gifts. After all, there are only 12 Saturdays until Christmas!


Happy making!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!