Search This Blog

Miss Shawl-ette

posted by Diana
Last week I showed you a couple of my favorite rectangular wraps I've made. This week? Is all about the triangle. I think these guys are a little harder to wear... rectangular shawls can be worn as scarves--no fuss, easy peasy.

Triangular shawls, however, can skew a little old-fashioned. I don't want to go for full-on frump, so I like to wear them off-kilter around my shoulders (with the point going down my arm) or like scarves with the point in front (but even that can feel a little weird and cowboyish).

Speaking of weird, first up is the Boneyard Shawl by Westknits. The drape on this one is a little wonky--and it's all my fault. I used the exact yarn I used in my flowery Gap-Tastic Cowl, Moda Dea Tweedle Dee. Even the same colorway! The bulky yarn makes me want to wear it on cold days, but there's not quite enough material to keep me warm enough. I'd like to remake this pattern in a non-bulky yarn... one day.

moda dea tweedle dee boneyard shawl pattern
Moda Dea Tweedle Dee (discontinued)

Next up is the Holden Shawlette. I knit this up when Holden was still a free pattern. I find it frustrating when patterns go from being free to paid, but designers have their reasons for monetizing. Specific to Holden, there are now more size options and the designer says the pattern itself is easier to follow. I thought the original was easy enough, but did get hung up a few times knitting the lacy bits. Maybe the revamped version will remedy that.

blue heron rayon metallic holden shawlette pattern
Blue Heron Rayon Metallic
I used almost a full skein of Blue Heron Rayon Metallic. This yarn! This yarn. I'm a complete sucker for rayon and it knit up oh so nicely. It's certainly the highest quality yarn I've used so far in any project I've created. Recently, I've decided to invest in better materials to help my crafting efforts last. Completely worth it!

I didn't even block this shawl... and not just because of laziness. It already has a great drape and nice stitch definition without blocking. Thank you, rayon!

And my favorite part, the reason I was drawn to this yarn, is the metallic thread running through it! The glitter flecks don't come across very well in pictures, but are super pretty in real life.

glitter yarn metallic yarn
Glitter flecks! The color is less accurate here, but you can see the sparkles!
And I've already got my next shawl on the needles. Look at the colors!

Lang Yarns Jawoll Magic
Lang Yarns Jawoll Magic

I've never worked with this yarn before. I bought it specifically for the Elder Tree Shawl pattern and I was excited for the long, muted color transitions... but it doesn't look quite like that's going to happen. Can you see the two knit leaves? Neither can I! This particular colorway has short color changes, meaning any intricate lace pattern is going to get all muddled up and lost. Womp womp. Looks like I have to find a new pattern for this pretty yarn!

Happy making!

3 comments:

Give us your feedback!