Search This Blog

Storage Whore(s) - Building Cabinets

If you've ever had to move, you get me.  You understand how you are forced to "spring clean," even if it isn't spring.  How you have to make sometimes heartbreaking decisions on whether to take something with you or sell it on Craigslist.  How you debate yourself on purchasing something you love based on if it will be easy to move.

And then, I got married.  Sweet Stephen does not see things this way.  He has not moved as many times as I have.  He is a borderline hoarder. Which means we need storage.

One reason I love my home is for its sheer amount storage (aka, ability to hide my Stephen's crap from myself and others).  It just isn't always where I need it.  Do you see my laundry room?  Lightbulbs, bug spray, even a phonebook.  Just a display case for items without a home.


Ew.  I even painted this room that aqua color a few months ago, to make this room less depressing.  It was marginally successful.

So, we built some cabinets!  I actually remembered to take pictures during the process which shows the steps pretty well, so I won't explain it to you (but if you have questions, feel free to ask!). When I was deciding on measurements, I made sure the laundry baskets would fit above the cabinets.  We also moved down the existing shelf down 6" (to 54", which is the height of our kitchen uppers).  Instead of building shelves and then hanging them, we just built them straight onto the wall for cost reasons.  Also I thought it would be easier.



cabinets built on wall


sliding door cabinets


To make the doors, we used plywood and baseboard trim.  And as a surprise to Stephen,
chalkboard paint! (which actually made it into this Friday Favorites post)

chalkboard paint


Then we added the facings so the raw plywood edges weren't showing.

And here's the transformation.

chalkboard paint

chalkboard paint


Tada!

The total cost of this project was about $67.
- $10 for chalkboard paint
- $13 for roller assembly
- $4 for hardware (on clearance at Lowe's)
- $40 for wood (we had a lot of it on hand already, as well as the white primer/paint, and caulk)

We plan to add shelves inside the cabinets, which will add a few bucks.  We just don't really need them right now.

I know the roller doors might throw some people off, and for a kitchen, I would never recommend them.  But for cabinets that are not used as frequently, and in a utility room (the furnace is also in here), I think these are totally appropriate.  And look how organized this room looks now! (Especially if I paint the trim and door white!)

This project was pretty easy and only took about a weekend, and I am happy with the turnout. My favorite part is how the chalkboard adds so much personality to such a small room! How fun.

What do you think?  Do you have more ideas to use chalkboard paint?

posted by Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!