Search This Blog

An Adventure in Laminate Furniture

Hello, Monday.

Unfortunately, I spent all day yesterday puking my guts out, so here's a short one for you today.  Sowwy.

****

I have a recurring dilemma.

Wood is beautiful.  Color is beautiful.

Wood grain vs. Color.

To paint the trim, or leave it wood?  Paint the nightstands, or stain them?  And so on, for every piece of furniture I buy or build.

Couple this obsession with my snobbish attraction to solid wood furniture.  I'm not talking about your Ikea laminate Expedit (may it RIP).  Or virtually anything from Walmart.  I want the real deal! (I just don't always like paying for the real deal, which is why we've started building our own or buying used).

But I realized I don't care as much if it's solid wood if it's painted.  For example, I picked up this 70s dresser at a church yard sale for $25.


Wow.  In need of some lovin'.

To fill in all the grooves in the drawers, I removed the hardware and actually just applied paintable silicon caulk and used a putty knife to level it out.  It worked awesome.

After slightly scuffing everything up (as a precaution) I applied two coats of Valspar Bonding Primer (more on that here) followed by two coats of white high gloss paint I had onhand.

My original plan was to do ombe drawers, the lightest one being on top... but for some reason, the colors came out so close you can't really even tell.  So here's what I ended up with.



Ughhh... whyyyy did I do that color?  Just because I could, really.  I was also waiting on my new knobs to come in.

While wandering around Lowe's one day, the salesman offered to sell me some of their onhand samples for only $1 - and as soon as I saw this one, called Mountain Smoke, I knew what I wanted to do.



And I installed the new knobs (they're actually acrylic and not glass - $6 on Amazon) and moved the dresser to the guest room.



As an additional touch, added some contact paper ....



How perfect!

Oh, and the only place you can almost tell there were grooves is on the top drawer, but I think it's pretty disguised, don't you think?


And just for fun here's a throwback to the original.

Yowza.


Sorry for the short post - I'll be back next week!

posted by Emma


4 comments:

  1. Wow! How clever... I never imagined that would turn out so good. Guess I will be scouring the local yard sales this weekend? Do you need that bonding primer or can you just paint it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely use some kind of primer, unless you use chalk paint! Otherwise your paint will very likely peel or chip easily. Bonding primer is my favorite because I didn't have to sand anything (I only did for added protection) but if you don't mind roughing up the surface, pretty much any primer will work for you. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Pretty sure you stole those knobs from our dresser that we redid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they these? They're even cheaper now then when I bought them!
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ODTO16/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      Delete

Give us your feedback!