Search This Blog

Home is Where Your Initial Is

What's more fun than a wedding?

Not very much.  But mixed in with the excitement of joining two families is the apprehension of taking on a new name (for some of us ladies).  Full disclosure, it's hard shedding a name you've held on to for so long.  That, combined with living with a different person who has a different mind and different habits, can make the whole moving in together somewhat... well, difficult.  Distressing, even.

So, anything I can do to make a dwelling feel a little more home-y is worth my time.  We received a doormat with our new initial for our wedding that I love (thanks Maggie!). Before you even walk in the door, it establishes us as a family, in a weird way.

That feeling, coupled with a great letter and springtime flower, is how I came up with this:


Nope, E is actually not for Emma, but their now-shared last name.  At least that's what I told the couple.  Mwahahaha.

I started with a mdf initial from Michael's, and spray painted it.  Since it was mdf, it just sucked in the paint!  I had to switch from my cheap-o paint to spray paint plus primer.  Two coats of that and we were in business.

Tip: Use an old shower curtain or sheet as a drop cloth!


When that was dry (I waited an hour or so) I mixed some acrylic paints to come up with this pretty blue color.  I was actually going for a more muted bluish grey, but I ended up loving this color so much I couldn't help myself.






Acrylic dries quickly, so after about 30 minutes I went ahead and gave it a coat of Rustoleum Clear Enamel.  It dried so glossy, so protected... I have no fears of the acrylic chipping off anymore.  Really, this was my favorite step since it polishes everything off quite nicely.

Since I wanted to hang this with twine, I wasn't sure that using just glue would hold up in the North Carolina humidity, wind, etc.  I also wanted to be able to tie the twine around screws and hunker them down.  The letter itself was too thin - any screw would penetrate the front - so I added some scrap wood (furring strips) to the letter and drove in some screws, leaving enough space to tie twine.  I only needed it on the top, but added the wood to both ends so it wouldn't hang tilted forward.


And using some leftover faux flowers I had on hand (from making Diana's shadowbox art), I drove a screw through the center and painted it with nail polish to disguise it.  I don't have any pictures of that step, but it was so simple I don't think one is needed.

Then I added the twine and here's the result!





I admit, I kept this on my closet door for a while before I went to the wedding.  I love it so much.  I hope you do too, Olivia and Andrew!

And happy Memorial Day to everyone!

posted by Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!