Search This Blog

Halloween Costume: Tooth Fairy Edition

posted by Diana
It's September! Does that mean it's okay to talk about Halloween yet?

Halloween is, most assuredly, my favorite holiday. I like to have my costume picked out some time in August so I have plenty of time to order pieces I need and make whatever I need.

Last year, I was the Scary Tooth Fairy. I had a whole back story that my friends never tired of hearing--"what if the Tooth Fairy went mad?" I'd ask. "What the teeth she stole from kids became her friends? What if she stuffed them into her skin for safe-keeping?" That's about the time my friends would all get too grossed out for me to continue.

Speaking of grossed out, here's my face.

scary tooth fairy

I achieved this nasty look with the aid of some key theatrical makeup products and fake teeth. I followed this tutorial for a Chelsea smile and this tutorial for my open sores on my hand and stomach.


The makeup products I used were:

  • Liquid makeup from the drugstore in my skin tone
  • Red eyeshadow (highly pigmented)
  • Purple eyeshadow (highly pigmented)
  • Pink eyeshadow (highly pigmented)
  • Black eyeshadow (highly pigmented)
  • Ben Nye Liquid Latex
  • Ben Nye Spirit Gum
  • Ben Nye Spirit Gum Remover
  • Ben Nye Nose and Scar Wax
Some extras I used were:
  • Fake teeth
  • Paper towels

fake teeth tooth fairy scars

I glued some fake teeth into my wounds with Spirit Gum, because that seemed like the thing to do.

Since I was the Scary Tooth Fairy, I couldn't wear just any old dress. I made my dress from a skirt I thrifted. I didn't use a pattern... I just wanted a shapeless sack dress and any sort of wonkiness would add to my demented Tooth Fairy charm. After sewing my dress, I used a razor and scissors and distressed the fabric.


And I added some red paint splotches for a gorier effect.


To make the holes even more distressed, I pulled at the edges so the woven fabric would tatter.

spirit gum with fake teeth

I can't believe I'm putting a picture of my foot on the internet, but here it is. I accidentally dropped my bottle of spirit gum down my body, so I got a line of glue that covered my leg and foot. I made the best of a sticky situation and stuck some fake teeth down there!

scary tooth fairy costume
Want to make your own tooth fairy outfit? Be sure to track down those fake teeth early--mine tooth about a month to arrive after I ordered them on eBay.

Happy making!

2 comments:

  1. Hey!! I have looked everywhere for fake teeth! Where did you find those????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eBay! All you have to do is search for acrylic teeth. If you want them for Halloween tomorrow, you could try making some out of modeling clay.

      Delete

Give us your feedback!