Search This Blog

Here's to the Future

posted by Diana
I have so many DIYs in progress right now, but none quite near completion, so this week I've compiled a post of seven Halloween DIY decorations I hope to add to and cross off my making queue.

My only two criteria were that the crafts be fairly easy since Halloween is less than two months away (egads!) and that the decorations wouldn't take up much storage space since I live in an apartment where space is already lacking.

I've been saving glass bottles because I knew they would come in handy for some sort of DIY. Maybe this is why the apartment seems like it has no storage, but I think the next few projects pictured justify my collection.

Wax-dripped Apothecary Jars

I'm a huge fan of these creepy jars from Creative Me Inspired By You. Dripping wax over cutesy jars is a creative and easy way to age them up and make them look all gross and decrepit. These jars would look perfect on my mantle and kitchen table.

Creepy Terrariums
These Terrariums from Country Living seemed like fun additions to the apothecary jar display. I think they would look even nicer if the objects on display were set into the base of the bottle instead of the lid.

Mummy Spirits
Yep, another bottle revamp. I did say I've built up quite the collection. This time, Martha Stewart has covered her Mummy Spirits DIY with cheesecloth. The distressed cheesecloth looks like a perfect mimic of ancient mummy remains.



Cheesecloth webs
I've never thought to hang cheesecloth from the ceiling since I always buy the cheep spiderweb material, but this  Decrepit Dwelling, also from Martha Stewart, makes me realize just how misguided my Halloween decor has been the past few years. The only creepy decor in the photo to the right is the distressed cheesecloth, which transforms the room from Glam Harvest to Nasty, Abandoned Banquet.












Flying Demon

This scary creature from The Frisky was made with only a nightgown and a Halloween mask. I could probably substitute the nightgown for cheesecloth (what can't it do??). It seems simple enough to hang from the ceiling with fishing line and push pins, provided that the mask isn't too heavy. This is the kind of decoration that will startle me at night, so I'll have to keep it out of sight from my path when I get up to get water in the middle of the night.


Spider Nests
Just looking at these fake spider nests gives me the creeps. I can't find the original source for this image, but the Pinterest description says the nests are just white stockings with stuffing inside. Just stick on some plastic spiders and call it a day. A creepy, creepy, spine-tingling day.

The Grudge Spirit
And then there's this one from about.com I had to include because it's awesome, but that I can't have in my home because the movie The Grudge terrified me too much. I had nightmares for about a year! Can you imagine the haunted spirit from The Grudge crawling out from your fireplace? I can barely look at this picture, let alone allow her to creep around my apartment.









Happy haunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!