Search This Blog

Calling All Homeowners, Renters, and Free-Loaders...

posted by Emma
Dear Readers,

I need your help.  I need your wisdom, your life experiences, and your lifestyles.  Basically I need to know what works for you in your house.  What should we look for next?

We're in the process of looking for our second house, and we have a lot more decent options than when we moved here (although, for a higher price.  Boo.).  Our situation has changed too - I'm pregnant I work from home now, so a space for an office is important.  We might add to the family in a few years (the furry kind, probably), so that's now a consideration.  And we have wayyyyy more tools, so we need either a large garage or a separate shed or workshop.  And PLEASE can I have a pantry next time?!

But those things weren't important when we bought this house (except the pantry. That was an oversight.).  And even though we kind of rushed into buying this house, there are some things we love that I'm looking for in the next home!
  • A tub in the master bath - this is the only house we looked at with a tub!  I don't know why, but this was important to me.  I've taken about 2 baths in the past 18 months, so I'm willing to forgo this next time.
  • Double vanities in the bathrooms.  Not-so-much needed in the guest bath, but DEFINITELY for the master.  Or at least a long countertop.
  • Ranch style.  I love having a one story. After seeing several 2-story or tri-level homes in El Paso, I've decided this is kind of a non-negotiable.  I love not having stairs.  Plus, lower utility bills.  Speaking of utilities...
  • REFRIGERATED AIR.  Ya'll know what a swamp cooler is?  If you're reading from the east coast, you don't... it's a way of cooling your home using wet paddles and a fan that is mounted on your roof.  It works really well in a dry climate, but when it's humid out, you get no heat relief.  Anyone want me to break this down, chemical engineering style?
So far we've seen about a dozen houses, and only one sticks in my mind that I actually can see us living in.  Of course, it has it's share of pros and cons.  But we haven't given up the search! Hopefully we'll have a few more options in the near future.

Anyway, what do you guys look for?  Any advice for what we should look for?  Anything you can't go without?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!