Search This Blog

Labor Day Recipes

Happy Labor Day!  DIY is on hold while we're in the home-selling/buying process, so I'm getting a little creative on topics for a while.

Do you guys know what Labor Day celebrates?  I didn't so I looked it up.  Turns out, it's a celebration of the American labor movement, like the formation of unions, which fought for fairer pay and better working conditions.  So, we really are celebrating labor!  Although it stinks if you have to celebrate by actually doing labor... sorry, grocery store employees.

Anywho, those of us that can are cooking out, of course!  I was invited to a pot luck, which begs the question of what to bring.  I LOVE bringing dishes to cookouts, so here are some of my favorites from my favorite recipe website!  (Click the titles for links)

Beautiful Salad
I don't think I've ever made this for a cookout, but it would be a great option.  My favorite part is the red onion, and I just use off the shelf balsamic vinaigrette.


I made it this weekend when the cows had me over for lunch.  Well, I came over unannounced, but they didn't seem to mind.



Well, except for this guy.  He definitely minded.




Rich Mexican Corn
I've made this a few times, and it is delicious (and spicy).  I use less butter, though, and I cut back on the peppers a little because it's a little too hot for Stephen.  Otherwise, a perfect comfort food.



Strawberry Pretzel Salad
This is mainly for Fourth of July, but wow! I could eat it all the time.  It gets soggy after a day or so, so it's best to make it for a lot of people so it's all eaten up when it's still crunchy.  I add mandarin oranges in with the Jell-O, just to get a little crazy.



Asian Salad
I've made something similar to this before, but I can't find the recipe I used, so I am trying this today.  It looks delicious!


What are your favorite cookout side dishes?  Pass em along! :)

posted by Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your feedback!